An air filter is used to remove airborne particles that are harmful to the lungs if inhaled. Such solid particles include dust, mold, fibres, germs, pollen and many more. HVAC air filters should be changed regularly, on average every 60- 90 days however this will range based on certain factors in your home. For example, if you live in a home with pets you will need to change your air filter more often than the average homeowner without pets. Furthermore, homes with more occupants or individuals with allergies will also have to change their air filter more frequently. By changing your air filter, you dispose of the germs trapped in the HVAC system therefore improving the air quality in your home. Also, by changing the air filters, you increase energy efficiency. When the HVAC system is clogged, it is forced to work harder, increasing the amount of energy being used.
Signs That You Need to Change Your Air Filter
It is time to change your filter if you get the following signs:
- Suppose there is dust trapped near the air vents. If you see that there is more dust in your air vents than the other areas of your house, you should know that the filter is worn out and needs to be changed.
- If you have no idea of when you last changed the air filter, it is time to change your air filter.
- If you notice that your electricity bills have spiked up, you should consider checking whether your HVAC system is overworking.
- If you are experiencing allergies, you should change your air filter.
Consequences of Not Changing Your Air Filter
If you don’t change your air filter regularly, you may experience the following consequences:
- Increased energy bills.
- Clogged and damaged HVAC system.
- Taking longer to heat or cool your home.
- The air stagnates in your room, thus becoming stale.
If you are still unsure about now often you should change your air filter, our experts at A-Plus Quality, HVAC services in the Greater Toronto Area, can help you out. Contact us today to speak with a representative and discuss the factors in your home to determine how often you should change your air filter.